This October is a big month in the cybersecurity world – it’s the 15th annual National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, led by the National Cyber Security Alliance and the Department of Homeland Security. National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) was created as a collaborative effort between government and industry to ensure every American has the resources they need to stay safer and more secure online.
- Defendify is proud to be a NCSAM Champion again this year, and to promote cybersecurity awareness in October and every month.
Efforts and Impact
In addition to NCSAM’s overarching mission to promote the awareness of online safety and privacy, each week has been designated with a distinct theme, corresponding to different aspects of cybersecurity:
- Week 1, Oct. 1–5: Make Your Home a Haven for Online Safety
- Week 2, Oct. 8–12: Millions of Rewarding Jobs: Educating for a Career in Cybersecurity
- Week 3, Oct. 15–19: It’s Everyone’s Job to Ensure Online Safety at Work
- Week 4, Oct. 22–26: Safeguarding the Nation’s Critical Infrastructure
Our blog posts this month will center around these key themes, exploring the many important facets of cybersecurity. Keep an eye out on our social media pages as well as we will be sharing a wealth of information and resources, both from our organization and from the National Cyber Security Alliance and other reputable sources.
In addition to focusing our blog and our social media outreach around NCSAM, Defendify is speaking at several events this month to promote cybersecurity awareness. Locally, we will also attend a career fair in Augusta, Maine to share information about a career in cybersecurity with college students and recent graduates. The more information we can share, the better!
NCSAM is a collaboration between businesses, government agencies, colleges and universities, associations, nonprofit organizations, and individuals. That means that everyone can get involved by becoming a Champion, sharing resources, and spreading the word.
One impactful thing you can do to promote cybersecurity awareness is to simply start the conversation:
- At home, talk with your family about the importance of online safety and privacy, and what they can do to protect themselves.
- At work, spread the word about best practices (try these three things you can do for free to get you started) and consider rolling out an ongoing cybersecurity program to further protect your business.
Social media is a great place to share information about cybersecurity. Share material from Defendify and the National Cyber Security Alliance and post your own cybersecurity tips and messages to spread the word. You can also follow and use the official NCSAM hashtag #CyberAware on social media throughout the month.
For more information about NCSAM 2018, visit the National Cyber Security Alliance at staysafeonline.org/ncsam. Be #CyberAware this October, and all year round!
Your Friends @ Defendify